Drains are disposing sewage in the river
Irrigation department of Uttar Pradesh has ensured that river Gomti would be relieved of 36 disposing drains by the month of December this year. According to the report, presently, 36 drains are disposing the sewerage into the river Gomti at different parts of the city.
To control the pollution and restrict the disposal of sewerage in the river, irrigation department is laying down a trunk drain on both sides of the river. To which all the drains will be connected, preventing sewerage to fall in the river.
According to the River front development incharge, Roop singh, trunk drain is in its final phase and should definitely be finalized by the month of December this year. Later to which no drain would fall in the river. The project of trunk drain outstretches from left bank to the right bank.
Why is sewage a problem?
· Sewage contains wide variety of dissolved and suspended impurities.
· Sewage contains impurities that tend to rot
· Sewage contains disease causing microbes
· Substances that we use for house cleaning constitute to domestic sewage contain harmful chemicals
· Chemicals in washing powder and detergents affect the health of all forms of life in water
· When Sewage enters in river or lake microorganisms begin to decompose the organic substances
· Oxygen present in the river or the lake is consumed by the micro-organisms as they use it in their metabolism.
· Water pollution causing the water quality deterioration
· Affects aquatic ecosystems
· Pollutants seep deep down to the river bed and affect ground water deposits
· Contaminated ground water deposits cause fatal diseases
Source: Amar Ujala,Lucknow edition, 31 july 2016